baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:02:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that half-way through boot I get to the line:
> > IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
> >
> > and it gets stuck there.
>
> That's a kernel crash.
>
> > Is there some file other than fs.image that I should recopy?
>
> Nothing to do with the filesystem (fs.img). The kernel is
> crashing before it even looks for a filesystem.
> > Can md5sum be used to compare fs.img's and zimage's?
>
> Yes.
> Steven

The BL3 problem (on at least two probably four computers):

I compared md5sum for BL3 fs.img on two computers, one of which works and
one does not, and they are totally different. The working one is
e97468bb4a44c270023at630519981d3 (or something similar to that) and the
nonworking one starts off 7007b612e36abbdd......

The kernel zimages on this computer (working BL2 and Bl3) are not the same
for BL2 and BL3 which is not surprising since you recompiled to make
zimage for BL3 smaller.

I get the same md5sum for zimage on this computer where BL3 boots and on
the computer I copied BL3 to where it does not boot but gets stuck at the
IP Protocols line. So zimage does not appear to be what is keeping BL3
from booting.

But the working and nonworking fs.img do not have the same md5sum and I
will recopy that unless someone has a better suggestion. (Maybe tomorrow -
it is midnight here after a long day of copying).

Would it be better to copy fs.img with plip instead of llpro? Lllpro
seems to have copied zimage okay every time but fs.img is larger. I
cannot compare fs.img on two computers where BL3 does not work because BL2
also does not work on one of them.

------
The BL2 problem (on just one of four computers):

I hope tomorrow to read some good ideas about the computer where BL2
sometimes works and sometimes does not and gives two different error
messages sort of randomly ('IO error while reading initrd', or 'not an
Image file'). I did a scandisk, no bad sectors. Are there
ways to test the motherboard/cmos?

We reformatted all the drives so it is unlikely to be a virus, or would
pqmagic not remove a boot sector virus?