baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:18:04 -0400 (EDT)

> Yes, I knew about that. As it happens, double-space (copyright
> infringed) was Stacker,
> and is better than the MS replacement. I used to use it, but no more.

I recall leaving double-spaced or drivespaced drives overnight to defrag.

> > > I had to format the new DOS partitions, and even then they failed
> > > Norton's Disk Doctor check, so I let NDD fix them.
> >
> > THere was something wrong with the drives?
>
> Yes, NDD found problems. This is Norton 8.0, written by Peter Norton,
> before Symantec got their hands on it, and I trust it.

What sorts of problems does NDD fix? Can it remove EZ-Drive? We were
unable to repartition any drive with EZ-Drive on it using Partition Magic.

> > Wow, what do you do with it all? Store music?
>
> Among other things. :)
>

> I sequence MIDIs from scratch, many of the tunes are my own, and I
> make MP3s and OGGs from them.

> To learn how to network between two partly identical linux installations.

What have you learned from this challenge?

> > Is it that BL2 kernel does not support the hardware, or BL2 libraries
> > don't support the hardware, or the programs you want are not available
> > compiled for SW71? Can you use Xvesa with peanut linux?
>
> Some are not available for SW 7.1.

Have you tried compiling anything? In theory compiling is pretty simple,
if you don't mix up your glibc like I did. And if you do upgrade to glibc
2.2.5 you can use deb 3.0 packages and there are lots of those for sound.
Just install with mc/mcmenu or unpackage with ar -x filename.deb and
data.tar.gz (one of three resulting files) can be installed manually.
I would be happy to try to help you with compiling or deb packages.

Some day when I get my new linux computers done I might ask you again for
help getting sound to work. Perhaps my library mixup was causing problems
somehow, or the wierd old Creative sound card was not very compatible (the
one that I could jumper to irq 15 but not 5).

> On that machine (lois), there is a Vibra16 sound card that Peanut can
> use,
> but I haven't found the necessay mods for SW 7.1 yet.

Is it possible to use a later kernel in BL2, for which there are the
required modules? Even the kernel from Peanut linux, as an experiment?

> Peanut has a newer PDF viewer than SW 7.1, and it also runs mplayer -
> the only player I have for .WMVs, VIVO.
> I use XVESA in BL3.
>

> > > It will probably turn out to be that I am not using enough gun, so to
> > > speak - I have 64 MB RAM on an AMD K6 450 MHz machine.
> >
> > That is similar to our fastest computer. What sort of multimedia stuff
> > have you been able to use it for?
>
> My main machine plays MIDI, MP3, MOD, MPEG, AVI, MOV, QT, RAM, RA,
> audio CD.
How many hours did it take to get this all working?

> > Can you play DVD movies? We have a DVD
> > drive and could not find any use for it.
>
> I have the software to play DVD, but no DVD drive.

I might eventually also ask you for help with DVD playing if you know how
to do this in linux or even Win98. First we need a working motherboard.