baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:04:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, David Lane wrote:

> Sindi,
>
> There never has been any consistency in older mother-boards being able to
> handle Windows.I have an older 586 AMD PCCHIPS mother board that handled one
> version of Win95 but not another,but ran blazingly fast with the one that
> worked.With Win 3.11 WFWG and DOS 6.22 it was a very dependable PC that
> networked well,ran most any game (16 bit or DOS) and ran a BBS for over a
> year with no complaint.The versions of Windows are not even consistent in
> how they run on two identical machines.The DOS foundation usually runs fine
> regardless,although that can give you fits.The point is,a lot of these old
> PCs ran OEM versions of Windows,tailored for them,and generic installs
> sometimes fair badly.It's a crap-shoot.Given good RAM,CPUs and clean
> connectors (don't overlook corrosion,esp black corrosion),they should all
> work with Linux to some degree.

The following might explain why two of our motherboards work fine at
150MHz (Cyrix cpu, the sort that runs hot, with a large heatsink and fan)
but either won't boot at all (start to boot, then a black screen with
blinking cursor), or boot but no video (we had to move the PCI video card
to the slot nearest the power supply to fix this - it worked in any
position at the slower speed, why is this?) and then Windows crashed
continuously at 166 (but I think it worked at 150MHz, however we were
trying to make something for a version of AOL that demanded 166MHz). The
combination of Windows, higher speeds and thus higher heats, and older
boards with probably dying components must have done it. But linux works
perfectly on these two computers at 150MHz, and not on two slightly newer
computers that run fine in DOS. An art not a science.