baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:48:21 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:14:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> > Hi Sindi,
> > > I heard 6.20 was better than 6.22 but I forget why. Why?
> >
> > I have no idea if it is or if it isn't. I only have MSDOS 5.0 and
> > 6.20 to look at.
>
> I asked, and the difference between 6.20 and 6.22 is the use of drivespc
> instead of dblspc (double space) because it turns out MS infrigned on
> someone else's software rights.

Yes, I knew about that. As it happens, double-space (copyright
infringed) was Stacker,
and is better than the MS replacement. I used to use it, but no more.

> Should make no difference to linux. If
> you are just using DOS to boot linux, 5.0 should work as well (and the
> himem.sys from 5.0 does not mess up Xvesa like that from 6.2).

I do most of my work in DOS 6.20, and very happy with it.
I use a boot [menu] in config.sys now, so that is no longer an issue.
(Thanks to those who suggested it.)

> > Don't know anything about first 8 MB.
> >

> From reading the primer about partitioning, DOS uses CHS system for
> addressing hard drive locations instead of LBA and CHS has a limit of 8G
> that it can address, therefore you need to put DOS in the first 8G and
> boot linux from DOS in the first 8G, but linux partitions can use the
> rest. So if the drive is over 8G DOS should not be the last partition.

That is the way I have done it, anyway, so I have no probs there. :)

> > > What did you use Disk Doctor for that fdisk could not do?
>
> > I had to format the new DOS partitions, and even then they failed
> > Norton's Disk Doctor check, so I let NDD fix them.
>
> THere was something wrong with the drives?

Yes, NDD found problems. This is Norton 8.0, written by Peter Norton,
before Symantec got their hands on it, and I trust it.

> > > Which linux
> > > distros do you use and how much space do they occupy?
> >
> > Machine 1: BL2.1 has 32 GB to play in.
>
> Wow, what do you do with it all? Store music?

Among other things. :)

I sequence MIDIs from scratch, many of the tunes are my own, and I make
MP3s and OGGs from them.

But I still have most of it empty, held in reserve so to speak.

> > Machine 2: BL2.1 has 5 GB, and Peanut Linux (RedHat based) has 10 GB.
> >
> > > Do you use more
> > > than one and if so why?

To learn how to network between two partly identical linux installations.

> > Peanut was recommended by a techie friend I trust.
>
> > It is the very latest (as of 6 months ago) based on a RedHat distro. I
> > am not real happy with it because although it is able to run a lot of
> > multimedia stuff that BL2 doesn't, there is something not quite right
> > about the X-windows setup and I have yet to find the problem(s).
>
> Is it that BL2 kernel does not support the hardware, or BL2 libraries
> don't support the hardware, or the programs you want are not available
> compiled for SW71? Can you use Xvesa with peanut linux?

Some are not available for SW 7.1.
On that machine (lois), there is a Vibra16 sound card that Peanut can use,
but I haven't found the necessay mods for SW 7.1 yet.
Peanut has a newer PDF viewer than SW 7.1, and it also runs mplayer -
the only player I have for .WMVs, VIVO.
I use XVESA in BL3.

> > It will probably turn out to be that I am not using enough gun, so to
> > speak - I have 64 MB RAM on an AMD K6 450 MHz machine.
>
> That is similar to our fastest computer. What sort of multimedia stuff
> have you been able to use it for?

My main machine plays MIDI, MP3, MOD, MPEG, AVI, MOV, QT, RAM, RA, audio
CD.

> Can you play DVD movies? We have a DVD
> drive and could not find any use for it.

I have the software to play DVD, but no DVD drive.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke