baslinux - Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

> > parport1: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
>
> Looks like 0x378 (parport1) is the port to use. You may
> be able to adjust this by using io= and/or irq= parameters
> with the plip insmod (or perhaps one of the parport insmods).

I was unable to use parport1 even after setting it to irq5 in CMOS and
with echo. I substituted plip1 for plip0 in the ifconfig line.
SIOCSIFADDR no such device
SIOCSIFDSTADDR no such device

It works fine with the other parallel port (parport0, Hercules card) if I
set the jumper on there to irq 7 and set the onboard port to irq5 in cmos.

Where do I find instructions on using plip?

> > Should I just remove the Hercules card while doing file transfers?
>
> Why don't you disable the printer port? Most herc cards
> have a jumper to do that.
I want to be able to use both ports, for printing and for plip.
It is hard to get at the backs of our computers to change cables.