baslinux - Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:51:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> More problems with plip. One of the two computers was transferring files
> just fine to another one, but now I hooked it up with something that has
> TWO parallel ports. One is onboard and it is set to IRQ7 in CMOS and is
> set to do SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2.
>
> Ordinarily this would be parport0, but when I put in the Hercules card it
> has another parallel port on it (the one that does SPP) which is parport0
> (parallel port 1 in DOS) and I don't know of any way to change the IRQ.
>
> So I tried both ports. The one on the board works fine with laplinkpro.
> The other one does not.

Do you need both parallel ports in the system at the same time? Obviously
if your using plip and printing you will, but otherwise, you may be able
to get by without one. Most BIOS options I've played with have an option
to disable onboard parallel ports entirely. How about trying that, then
the system won't supply an IRQ to it and should give the IRQ to the port
on the hercules card.You could also try turning off the plug-n-play aware
OS support, and set all the IRQs manually. That may give you more freedom
to free up an IRQ for the hercules board (which should have some way of
configuring IRQ manually unless it's designed for ONLY
plug-n-pray^H^H^Hlay useage).

Other than that, I really don't have any other advice to offer. I've never
used plip (or any other method of networking computers without using CAT5
or modem/phone line means), so can't offer suggestions on its use.

Good luck

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org