baslinux - Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] parport woes (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:53:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Where do I find instructions on using plip?
>
> /docs/Linux-HOWTO/PLIP-Install-HOWTO

Nowhere in there could I find any mention of plip1. The author did say he
had bought a parallel port card and would write up how to use plip with 2
parallel ports after he got it working. Apparently this never happened.

There was mention of using a printer switch box to use the same cable for
printer and plip. We have two of those. You can make a parallel transfer
cable by putting an adapter on a printer cable. Not quite sure how this
would all work. I also want to have a choice of two printers.

I eventually set up mdacon on this computer and discovered that a Hercules
card is not compatible with AGP video (you get a blank screen on the TTL,
probably because of memory overlap), so I replaced it with a sound card
that uses IRQ 5, and I will put the onboard parport back to IRQ7. This is
my PII computer, with only 2 ISA slots, so I had a choice of sound or
Hercules. I will put Hercules in a PI with three slots (one for modem).
We ran across one (dead) fast PII with only one ISA slot. Is it true that
some newer computers have no ISA slots? (Or serial ports, or floppy
drives). Are there PCI sound cards or modems that don't require Windows?