baslinux - [BL] parport woes (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] parport woes (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:05:56 -0400 (EDT)

More problems with plip. One of the two computers was transferring files
just fine to another one, but now I hooked it up with something that has
TWO parallel ports. One is onboard and it is set to IRQ7 in CMOS and is
set to do SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2.

Ordinarily this would be parport0, but when I put in the Hercules card it
has another parallel port on it (the one that does SPP) which is parport0
(parallel port 1 in DOS) and I don't know of any way to change the IRQ.

So I tried both ports. The one on the board works fine with laplinkpro.
The other one does not.

I set both ports to IRQ7 with
echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq (/1/irq)

The onboard port can instead be set to irq 5 in CMOS.

I tried plugging in the parallel transfer cable into both of these ports
and it won't ping either of them. Below is the output of dmesg:

Linux version 2.2.16 (root@senior) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
(egcs-1.1.2 release)) #12 Fri Jan 24 06:33:25 /etc/localtime 2003
parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [SPP]
parport1: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
parport1: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
NET3 PLIP version 2.3-parport gniibe AT mri.co.jp
plip0: Parallel port at 0x3bc, using IRQ 7
plip: parport1 has no IRQ.
plip0: transmit timeout(1,77)
plip0: transmit timeout(1,8f)

I THINK parport1 is the onboard port and it should have IRQ7, but perhaps
the Hercules card is parport0. (On our other computers it was always the
first port and I don't see any jumpers, but this could be an oddball).
Why does it tell me above both:
parport1: detected irq 7
plip: parport1 has no IRQ

Should I set the onboard port to irq 5? (The sound card may be using that
but at this point I don't care since it won't work with linux anyway).
What is procfs and how do I use it?
Should I just remove the Hercules card while doing file transfers?
I have not tried printing via this Hercules card - could the port be dead?
Could someone please try to explain which port is which and which one(s)
irq 7 is assigned to?

What should I do so that I can transfer files with plip instead of via
DOS laplinkpro (which I have done a lot of and it is a real pain)?

The other option is downloading kermit (since I cannot transfer it) and
figuring out again how to use it with a nullmodem cable, or is there some
other way to do serial cable transfer with linux? It is slower.
Someone probably explained this already but there are at least 1000 mails
to hunt through.

HELP!