baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:34:23 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I think I already complained about being disconnected while trying out
> BL2, and you added idle 0 to the first line of eznet.conf to stop it from
> timing out at all. I just added that line in BL3. The manual said to use
> idle = (time in seconds) and I think you said 0 simply eliminated the
> timeout. Please make this change to Bl3 as the 5 min default is too
> short, or increase to at least 15 minutes.

Steven lives in a country where internet service is billed by the amount
of time spent online and the rates are relatively high. I think this is
why he has this relatively "short" timeout. Other BL users may live in
such countries as well. Why ask that BL3 be tailored to American
standards, where "unlimited" internet service for a relatively low monthly
fee is the norm? Other BL3 users who live in countries with high ISP
rates billed by time used can get hit with outrageous bills should they
forget to disconnect from the internet in a timely fashion and might
appreciate having the sort of timeout Steven has built in. I say: wait
and see if the timeout bothers other BL3 users before making any such
blanket adjustment like this. Meantime, Steven has provided the method
necessary for users currently inconvenienced by it to change it.

James