baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:09:29 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Booted fine after that, but I couldn not get X to start
> - the old "pointer does not point at ROM" error culminating
> in a segmentation fault.

As mentioned a while back, Xvesa does not like some versions
of HIMEM.SYS and SMARTDRV (maybe some others too).

> Tried booting DOS with no autoexec.bat and config.sys.

That's the safest way. Later you can do a bit of trial and
error to see what part of your autoexec.bat/config.sys is
causing the problem.

> Is this TWM, Steven?

No, it's swm (although it does use the same right-click
for menu convention that twm uses). BTW, right-click X
to resize window.

> I tried both startxt and startx. I'm not quite clear on how
> X stuff gets fed to this machine from some other on my network,

First, get your network going (insmod, ifconfig, ping).
Then enter the following on the big system:
----------------------------
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0
xterm &
----------------------------
That assumes 192.168.1.2 is the address of the BL3 system.

Alternatively, if you are running xdm (or similar) on the big
system, you can get an automatic connection by entering the
BL3 address in Xservers (on the big system).

> Here's the main problem I'm confronting: the mouse cursor
> (serial mouse on com1) will only move along the x axis (vertical)
> - I cannot get any lateral movement from it. Any ideas what
> could be up with that?

Xvesa automatically guesses the protocol for the mouse (and I
have not yet found a way to set the protocol manually). Xvesa
always mis-guessed one of my mouses and I had to switch to a
different mouse. I suggest you try a different mouse.
Hopefully, we will find a better way to deal with this.

> Don't know if this is related, but after stopping X, the screen
> is full, top to bottom, with the following message:
> Int 10h (0x4F09) failed: 0x4F09 (unknown error)

That's normal for 640x480 resolution -- just ignore it.
It doesn't happen with other resolutions.

> I'll have to load my NIC's module there by other means as well
> (SMC Ultra), since it's not included withn the modules,

Sorry about that. Perhaps the wd module will work with that?
Otherwise, copy the SMC module from /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc
in BL2 and put it in the same directory in BL3.