baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Preliminary report
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:39:57 -0500 (EST)

1. links-ssl in /tmp works with BL3. I copied it from BL2 after mounting
the BL2 partition, and also put a copy in c:\haslin for later use (I
expect /tmp to disappear on reboot).

2. It works fine from CLI, but I got tired of the screen shifting left
and right in webmail (which is more than 80 col even with frames turned
off) so I tried it in X at 800 resolution. The smaller fonts help, but
the arrow keys (up and down) don't work in the login screen. I had to use
the mouse. I did a reply to list and the arrow keys worked at the top of
the screen (to: etc) but would not take me past Subject line to message
body and I had to use the mouse. No matter where I clicked in the
message body area, it put me at the end after the previous message so I
started typing there. Then I tried moving around with the mouse and tried
to go back to the end of message body and it put me two lines up instead.

I am not going to use links-ssl in X again, can't navigate properly.
The solution is to use CLI with more columns, but BL3 is not set up for
using other fonts.

3. Three times I wrote webmail reply or posting and was not able to send
it. I had been disconnected. Could not access other websites either. I
don't know if the problem is links-ssl (it happened in CLI not just X) or
BL3 or the ISP misbehaving today. If I can send this message (using BL2
ramdisk, telnetted) I will try BL2 with links-ssl and webmail see if it
disconnects.

I have never before been disconnected from this ISP, in two months.