baslinux - Re: [BL] How to run programs from slackware current in BL3?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to run programs from slackware current in BL3?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:46:32 +1300

sze wee neo wrote:

> How to run programs from slackware current in BL3?
> As a way of staying with the development of BL.

It is best to think of BL3 as an upgrade from BL1.
BL1 and BL3 currently use the same library (libc5);
therefore, most BL1 applications will work in BL3.
However, at some point in the future BL3 will probably
upgrade to the uClibc library (once uClibc is stable).

BL2 uses the glibc2.1 library, which is incompatible
with libc5 (BL1/BL3). Most BL2 applications will
not work on BL3.

The current Slackware is based on glibc2.3 (I think).
This is incompatible with the BL3 library and in some
cases is incompatible with the BL2 library. The only
way to run a current Slackware package on BL3 is to first
install the necessary libraries (which are larger than
the complete BL3). Nobody has done that yet (it's still
early days) but in the past I successfully installed
libraries from Slackware 8.1 on BL1. I imagine that
in a month or two, somebody will probably try installing
the current Slackware libraries on BL3.