baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2 -- It's alive!

  • From: entropicdesires AT entropicdesires.com
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2 -- It's alive!
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 02:03:57 -0600

User X wrote:
Ron Clarke wrote:

    Does this laptop even have a soundcard at all ?  I think there is not enough
room for SB16 in a laptop.  A tiny speaker is all that is needed for beeps and
squeaks.

Regards,
         Ron

Believe it or not, it does.  It's an es1688 Audio Drive by ESS Technology, Inc., and supposedly sound blaster and sound blaster pro compatible.

But, putting that aside for a minute, how does one go about setting up a symlink?  Or, if a file being compiled and installed sets up a symlink, where does it go and how does one get rid of it?  I was trying an alternative to getting my sound going, but I think I tried to install from the wrong directory (it wasn't a slackware package) or something and now when I try to insert the sound modules, I get an error stating:

unresolved symbol snd_wrapper_request_region

I'm guessing that this involves a symlink due to earlier errors having to do with symlinks when I tried installing from a different directory, but I'm sure I could be wrong.

Thank you

Well, I was trying to configure ALSA so I could get my sound to work but was getting so many unresolved symbol errors I didn't think it would ever work...  I sort of abandoned ALSA for a while and started poking around with the original modules again.  I don't remember exactly what I had done, but a few days ago I saw a command somewhere on some web page that created the "dsp" file that was missing from /dev.  I didn't think it had worked, but it had.  It just delivered the file to the wrong directory for some reason that is beyond me.  Tonight, I found it sitting in the /root directory and quickly moved it to where it was supposed to be: mv /root/dsp /dev/dsp.  Let me tell you, there is nothing like listening to the pixies through the worlds smallest speaker!  But it works, hee hee!

If anyone is interested, here is what to do if you ever find yourself with an es1688 audio drive (it may look a little familiar):

insmod soundcore
insmod soundlow
insmod sound
insmod v_midi
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 esstype=1688

Thanks to Ron and Sindi for all of the good tips.

\\ :o)