baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:52:40 -0500 (EST)

> > Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So I have sound but nothing very useful yet. Are there other players on
> > > the SW71 CD and if not, what might I get that is small to just test if
> > > the
> > > sound card is sounding bad just because of using cat?

As I have mentioned, I don't listen to mp3 files since I don't have any of
those. We did figure out how to use RealOne (for Windows) to make them
from CDs but have not bothered to do so.

I found for Deb. 2.2 (is this the correct version to corresond to SW7.1 -
it is 1999) a large collection of sound binaries :
/debian-archives/dists/Debian-2.2/main/binary-i386/sound/
(back up one for other categories).
I got (these are larger than for 2.1) bplay (wav) splay, maplay (?)
abcmidi playmidi dcd cdcd and workbone. All under 100K. Workbone is 14K,
bplay 15K, playmidi a huge 144K. I will report if these work.
First I need to reboot with bare.i (bzimage) and load six modules and hunt
up a midi file (or maybe download a sample now).

I downloaded and installed JP's mc-mini and mcmenu, which make it very
easy to install .tar.gz and .deb and other packages. Go to the directory
where you have them, arrow down to the file of interest, hit F2 and it
will ask what to do with it. For tar.gz files don't choose a separate
subdirectory as they already unpack that way and you don't want to be two
levels down.

I installed upx for linux that way and it does not work as well as gzexe
on two small executable files.