baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:46:28 +0000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:46:16 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> > > This looks like a GUI program since is it about 10M if I recall
> > > correctly.
> >
> > No. Timidity is CLI. There are some graphic front-ends for Timidity
> > in X, but you don't need those to play/hear MIDIs. But you will need the
> > patches.
>
> The one availabe for Debian was 10M.

No. Timidity that I have is 146 kb as a tgz file.

> What is a patch?

A patch is a *.pat file that tells the MIDI player what each instrument
should sound like.

> What are patches and where do I get them?

Start at:
http://www.startdate.bc.ca/eawpatches/html/get_patches.htm

These are the best patches I have found, but the omnibus file is over 22
MB, so use WGET.

> splay - buffer size of file device is wrong
> bplay - inappropriate ioctl for device
> abcmidi - converts between abc and midi format - what is abc?

abc is a format from the early days used to encode, send, and decode music.
There are abc players for DOS and even Win3.1. My own DOS "speaker-player"
uses
a similar system to make music by "beeps" from the PC speaker, at:
http://tadpole.mytunebook.de/tunes/tadpole/fordos.htm

It is still used as a quick, tiny, means to pass music via the
internet/email,
and is much in favour by whistle-players, for instance.

> I played a cd by pushing the play button. The card sounds okay,
> better than with cat.

Then workbone should also work.

> Do I need to mount the cd-rom drive somehow for playmidi?

No. And you don't need to mount the CD-ROM for wokbone if it has an audio
CD in it.

Regards,
Ron

--