baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:54:36 +0000

Hi Sindi,

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:21:14 -0500 (EST)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> I don't have sound for DOS running on this computer.
> So I opened up the computer and noticed it was set to IRQ 15, not 5, and
> changed that line, and it told me Invalid IRQ 15. I then changed to IRQ10
> (replacing the jumper, which came apart into two pieces, with a pretty red
> one that I can find again easily) and it worked.

Excellent !

> What it probably meant was that I did not do insmod uart401. I had a few
> typos when typing the insmods and probably put in a _ or - or insmode.
> This time I got it all to work, and then did
>
> cat m_waltz.wav > /dev/audio
>
> I plugged some headphones into the speaker output hole and heard something
> that sounded like the minute waltz played on a radio with terrible
> reception. Is this likely to get better with an actual music player?

Oh yes. :)

> I tried installing realplayer 8, from X, and got 'segmentation fault' -
> what next?

I used MC in CLI mode to place all the bits where they should be, then
edited the icewm menu to give the full path to the realplayer.
It worked for me, I haven't had a segmentaton fault.

> I tried sox and got 'invalid audio buffer size' and I could not find
> 'audio buffer' in the sox man page.

I didn't bother trying sox directly.

> So I have sound but nothing very useful yet. Are there other players on
> the SW71 CD and if not, what might I get that is small to just test if the
> sound card is sounding bad just because of using cat?

There is a nice MP3 player called gqmpeg (and other MP3 stuff) that you
can
find at:

http://www.mpg123.de/

Other players etc. at:

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

> I would need to make an mp3 to test with amp and that sounds like too much
> work right now and they are too large to download so I will look for
> tiMIDIty online.

You will find a link to timidity on the same site as above, but timidity
will remain silent unless you also have the patches properly configured.

> Is there a linux cdplayer? I searched MANIFEST.gz for play and did not
> find one. cdplayer cdplyr not found

Look for workbone. :)

> What is a segmentation fault? I have all the required libraries for
> Realplayer (I checked with ldd just now). Has any other BL2 user
> installed Realplayer with BL2?

Looks like it is just me.

Regards,
Ron