baslinux - Re: [BL] shift over and back

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shift over and back
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:14:36

Hi Sindi

>Reply to Sender: mailto:keesan AT iamjlamb.com
>Reply to List: mailto:baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

>I tried dosemu without any X. Will graphical DOS programs run under X? If
>so, how? Would Xvesa cooperate with dosemu?

When I saw dosemu first in non-graphical mode I was quite disappointed
because the semigraphical characters did not display properly. For
some applications (I try to run MS-Word) this is a problem. So I did
not waste my time and tried dosemu in an Xwindow and got a screen
identical to that in DOS.

Xvesa is beyond me. I have X configured for S3 card, but have not
yet made any efforts for a most sophisticated display. On the other
machine I ran the old Xserver under the old Slackware (3.5)
with the old dosemu, and the dosemu Windo seemed to be restricted
to 16 colours. But I did not follow this.

>We installed a precompiled version of dosemu that required downloading two
>binary files. I don't recall if it was an older version but it appears to
>work (in console mode, anyway).

This is probably ver. 1.0.2. It convinced me that dosemu makes sense
at all. There were many things missing then, eg. sound, networking.
Unfortunately I was able to compile the development versions 1.1.x.
Now I have Slackware 7.1 with better compiler and higher X and
succeeded in compiling 1.1.99. I am not sure whether they will put
a new binary into their archives soon.

Christof

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov