baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:05:21 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Let me know when it's ready.

It's available now:
http://basiclinux.com.ru/download/x-initrd.gz

Put it in your BOOT.BAT instead of baslinux.gz. It will
boot with the ordinary BL1 or BL2 kernels, but it will
only be network-capable if you use a net.i bzimage from
Slackware (or a network-capable kernel from another distro).
After you boot, answer the questions and do the following:
----------------------------
ifconfig eth0 www.xxx.yy.zzz (skip if not network-capable)
startx
----------------------------

> We're moving tomorrow,

Oh, dear. Moving house messes things up, big time.

> so I don't know if I'll be able to devote sufficient attention
> to it in the next 2 - 3 days,

You'll be lucky to surface within a week.

> but I'll try to fit it in whenever and wherever possible

Don't worry about it. You have much more important things
to deal with.

> Memory: 3236k/5120k available (972k kernel code, 384k reserved, 528k data)

That's good news. The system has 5mb RAM. That explains why
it has only four SIMM slots -- you've got 1mb on board. 5mb
gives you a better chance of running the ramdisk. But it still
could be tight (I'm not sure how much Xvesa is going to need).
If it doesn't work from the ramdisk, you can try booting it from
a floppy (just gunzip x-initrd.gz, rawrite it to a 1.44mb floppy
and edit BOOT.BAT to point to /dev/fd0 instead of the initrd and
/dev/ram).