b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:14:49 +1000

Hi Rolf,

So the syllogism stands and points against you.

Even if "sing" and "run" have features which cannot be cancelled, this does not mean that "uncancellable meaning" exists wholesale across language, only that these two lexemes may have such a feature. You need to establish that "uncancellable meaning" is appropriate elsewhere, which you haven't done. Added to this is the mass of research data I presented against your position that often an "uncancellable meaning" cannot be determined. This thoroughly undermines your position, which means that the appropriateness of speaking of "uncancellable meaning" needs to be determined on a case by case basis.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Dear David,

I see no reason to go into the details of this post. I will just
remind you that M. Broman Olsen got her Ph.D in linguistics with the
"plod"-example as her basis for uncancellable meaning. As long as you
have not shown that the dynamicity and durativity of verbs like
"sing" and "run" can be cancelled, you have failed to prove tha
uncancellable meaning does not exist.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo