b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:43:37 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

I was not aware that your conclusion on Hebrew had become a consensus. Last
I did reading on the subject, many (most, I thought) scholars were still of
the opinion that most of the text as we have it was written much later and
over a much shorter period. But I would like to see the discussion move to
centre much more on Hebrew verbs rather than 'plod', a word I very rarely
hear used. Proving that 'plod' does or does not have uncancellable meaning
and what it is does not really tell me much at all about Hebrew. The
question for me still remains: what do the Hebrew verbs encode? I cannot
see that the Hebrews would have persisted with both Qtl and Yqtl if they
meant the same thing, so while I see Rolf's work as a contribution to the
quest to understand the Hebrew verbal system, I am not convinced it is the
last word, or even that it will constitute a major part of the final answer.
Each time this discussion is held I understand his view a little better,
but the chasing of other issues (like what 'plod' means in various types do
English) rarely adds much to the discussion. I am hoping at some stage to
find Rolf's work in a book at a reasonable cost so I can spend a few
leisurely evenings reading through it.

Kevin Riley