b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:28:58 +0200

Dear Stoney,

See below.

I concur with Karl respecting "plod"; indeed, I would go further and say that "slow" is in fact uncancellable in "plod" and that "plod quickly" is an oxymoron in *any* English dialect. What I think this demonstrates is that we have to take a commonsense attitude towards "uncancellability". Clearly, *any* property of *any* word or morpheme may be "cancelled" for rhetorical or artistic purposes; for rhetoric and poetry depend for their effects in large part on deliberate violation of normal usage. Equally, however, we must recognize that language itself would be impossible if the overwhelming majority of meanings were not at some fundamental level "uncancellable". A society of Humpty-Dumpties could not communicate at all.

Good observations!

And by the way: Rolf is clearly wrong in designating non-perfectivity as an uncancellable meaning of the English "present participle". That form (which I should prefer to call the "-ing form", to avoid use of grammatical categories proper to a different language) doubles as an "active participle", in which capacity it may with perfect propriety bear a perfective meaning:

The *winning* teams advanced to the finals; the *losing* teams met in a consolation match.
Andrew Jackson invented the notion of the president as the only true representative of the popular will, and *succeeding* presidents built on this to create what would become known as the Imperial Presidency.

There is one problem with your examples, because the -ing forms are used adjectivally. In such situations we do not speak of aspect. The -ing forms used as adjectives are not a part of the English verbal system. So, to show that my (rather the linguist Broman Olsen's) claim is wrong, you must produce examples of -ing forms used as predicates with completed actions.

BTW, I can give you one example of a completed -ing form used predicatively. A friend of mine defended her Ph.D dissertation, and in her corpus was the following clause: "Crossing the floor, she opened the cupboard." The meaning was that when she had crossed the floor, she opened the cupboard. However, this was a poetic passage where the author used some particular effects. and as you say above, poetry may include some violations of grammar and syntax. But interestingly, to the best of my knowledge, no one has demonstrated that poetic passages in BH violates grammar or syntax.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Stoney Breyer