b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:50:58 -0700

Dear Rolf,

[Rolf Said]
Here I will just say that the comments above are so silly that I am
completely breathless.
No linguist will deny that there is a difference between past
reference and past tense. The English participle has present
reference in 1), past reference in 2), and future reference in 3).
But the past reference in 2) does not indicate that the participle
expresses past tense; it is not a tense.

1) Right now Rita is walking.

2) Yesterday Rita was walking.

3) Tomorrow Rita will be walking.

[Bryant]
"Walking" is an English participle. All you have done is add a participle
with a
verb of "to be" (walking + to be) with a time reference noun. The example
number
2 has "yesterday + was (to be verb)" qualifying as to when in the past that
the
action of the subject occured. Without the qualifying time reference noun all
one would know is that "Rita was walking."

So please indicate from BH examples in the Tanach the following verbs:

Bara'
Yatsar
Asah'
Hayah
Davar

Also please indicate the source as narrative, poetry, prophetic, etc., genre.

If what you say is correct, then would it apply in all of the different genres
found in the Tanach? If not, why?

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III