b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 01:05:49 +0300

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Stoney Breyer wrote:
> I concur with Karl respecting "plod"; indeed, I would go further and say
> that "slow" is in
> fact uncancellable in "plod" and that "plod quickly" is an oxymoron in
> *any* English
> dialect.

>From a google search on "plod quickly":
http://www.amazon.com/Toscco-Happy-Family/dp/B000007TIP
"The compositions can plod quickly along over massive speed bumps; they can
also
slow down to take in the scenery."

http://disapprovingblue.net/finished/the_order/order15.html
"He heard the little boy's footsteps plod quickly up to it."

http://books.google.com/books?id=s6U_mYyH1iMC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=plod
"Even though the horse was not afraid of the dead animal, he was still
pleased to be
leaving and needed no urging to plod quickly downhill."

If we go ahead and claim that "Just that within a particular language
at a particular
time words may have meanings that are uncancellable" where a
"particular language"
may indicate a specific sociolect -- "in the variety of English that I
grew up learning,
namely that of the upper Midwest of the United States." What in this
case is the
particular language and time of the entire Bible?

Yitzhak Sapir