b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Anthony Becker" <ABecker AT nerdshack.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Uncancellable meaning and Hebrew verbs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:37:53 -0700

Hello

I just wanted to add a little something then I will go back to the shadows.
While I myself would not say "plod quickly," a search on Google shows 141
hits for this phrase. A search for "quickly plod" gives another 123 hits.
Such a diverse sampling from many random speakers would seem to indicate
that David is not alone in his usage and the statement made by Stoney Breyer
that "'slow' is in fact uncancellable in 'plod' and that 'plod quickly' is
an oxymoron in *any* English dialect" seems incorrect.

Anthony Becker