b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] (WLM was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Hedrick" <garyh AT cjfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] (WLM was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:51:43 -0600

We cannot assume that the connotations of Hebrew words have remained
unchanged for 2,500 or 3,000 years, but nonetheless, it may be instructive on
some level to note that in modern Judaism, (WLM has taken the meaning of
"boundless" or "without limitation." For instance, one of the divine titles
in modern Hebrew is Melech HaOlam, which is sometimes translated "King of the
World," but more commonly, "King of the Universe."

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, TX USA