b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:20:14 -0500

Thanks, Rolf:

I found it interesting that you mentioned Thorleif Boman's
work here. That book was very influential to me when I
was in college: I had already read Tanakh completely
through once and was continuing to read it, and the effort
had caused me to think in what Boman called "Hebrew
Thought", only I didn't know it. Many times professors
and other students were excited about how the use of
alternate terms were so important in a work, i.e. the form of
the expression, while I couldn't see the excitement as the
function, the underlying meaning, had remained almost
unchanged. Boman's book explained to me how I was
thinking differently from my fellow students and
professors.

When I started writing noted in the margins of my
dictionaries, which eventually resulted in my writing a
complete dictionary, again it was to give a functional
understanding of the terms. In other words, look at the
action involved, its form only afterwards. Many times the
actions suggest a stronger connection to the roots than
form-based considerations.

As for Boman's and your description of the use of (WLM, it
is as I recognize the term to be used. Thanks again.

Karl W. Randolph.