b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:15:34 EST

I fully understand that "time indefinite" does not work for you.
"Age-abiding" does not work for me, though some translations favor it. Such
is life.

However, defining "olam" as "hidden time, i.e. obscure and long, of which
the beginning or end is uncertain or indefinite" worked for Gesenius, and it
works for me.

True, as used in the Bible, "olam" does not usually refer to 15 minutes, but
there are places where it does not mean "forever," either. When it means
"forever" it may be augmented by "we'ad." Or to indicate "forever," another
Hebrew word, "netsach," may be used.

Maybe it can be illustrated with a closed circle. Where does it begin,
where does it end? Beginning and end are "indefinite," i.e. undefined.

I think too much of this (over)long discussion has not really been about
what "olam" means in the Hebrew Bible or how it is used there. It seems to be

about what "olam" or forever means to individual posters.

I like, and am quite comfortable with, "time indefinite." Your are not.
So, what's new?

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 11/22/2005 6:17:06 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,