b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:41:23 -0500

Kelton:

We need to differentiate between what (WLM meant in
Hebrew and what is a good translation.

On the one hand, I agree with you that "time indefinite" is a
poor translation into English. Where ever it is used, there
is at least the expectation of a long period of time. "Time
indefinite" does not give that expectation.

There is also the problem that there is no English word
nor phrase that gives the same meaning as (WLM. Its
uses span a few English uses, and the translator who
wants to give a readable translation will find that he will
use different words for different contexts.

The phrase "hidden time" is a non-starter. First, the root
(LM has "hidden" as a possible translation only as a
derivative from the hiphil causative usage, "cause to be
unknown" hence "hidden". Secondly, how can time be
hidden (what does that mean?)?

Basically, as I understand the term, we are talking about a
long period of time where at least one end is not specified,
either because it is not known or the author simply wants
to refer to "ages past". That unspecified time can and does
at times extend into eternity. In the future, the commands
are to be followed until new orders come down the pike,
the time the new orders will come is unspecified,
unknown.

I'd hate to be a translator, because to give the full flavor of
the term I would have to write a paragraph each time the
term is used, which is unreasonable. Right now I'll let the
translators worry about that.

Karl W. Randolph.