b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:48:38 -0500

Bryan:

)LH TWLDWT at the ends or beginnings of the sections?
I have heard from different sources (unfortunately in
lectures, not on paper) that it was a literary style that went
out of practice mid second millennium BC whereby the
author and title were added onto the end of literary works.
Thus the sequential time frame of creation, which only
God would know, was given the title "These are the
bringing forths (This is the narration ...) of the heavens and
the earth, in the day YHWH God made earth and heaven."

Thus Genesis 2:4 reflects a different document than 2:5,
and therefore cannot fit the pattern that you claim (unless
those lecturers I heard were wrong).

That they are today at the beginnings of following sections
is the result of the relatively modern division of chapters
and verses, made by people who did not know that
ancient practice.

Karl W. Randolph.