b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] (WLM was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] (WLM was Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:34:37 +0000

On 23/11/2005 22:27, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

The quote from Tomasino that you included so far does express what I have been saying all along.

What I objected to was your use of "forever" and "eternity" because these terms, except for idiosyncratic and/or idiomatic use, do not describe what Tomasino described. As a native speaker of English (as found in America), I, and others on this list as well, saw by your use of the above terms an argument for a meaning far different than what we recognize from Tomasino's writing.

Well, Karl, I only typed out a small part, section 4, of Tomasino's seven page article - although I did quote his "it often implies unceasingness of perpetuity", which clearly disproves your assertion that Tomasino's concept of `olam is not "forever" and "eternity". But I see that to make things clear I will have to type some more of the article. Here goes:

5. In many more cases, the nom. is used with longer time periods in view - indeed, it often implies unceasingness of perpetuity. The nom. is used in this fashion to describe aspects of creation: in Ps 78:69; 104:5; Eccl 1:4, the earth is said to have been established "forever," i.e. it will continue to exist into the most distant future. Similarly, the heavens and their denizens are established forever (Ps 148:6). Zion, the mountain of God, is also established perpetually (48:8[9]). Less permanent creations can also be described in this manner. Joshua sets up a stone to serve as a "memorial ... forever" for the Israelites (Josh 4:7). Similarly, Isaiah is told to inscribe a judgment oracle on a tablet and a scroll, in order that it might serve as a witness against the wicked perpetually (lᵉʻad ʻad-ʻôlām; Isa 30:8). Nations, such as Babylon, can aspire to exist forever (Isa 47:7; Obad 10; Ps 81:15[16]). Such aspirations are manifestations of their pride and invariably provoke God's wrath. People, too, can aspire to live forever, as did Adam and Eve (Gen 3:22). Moreove, the Lord swears that his spirit will not strive with humanity perpetually (6:3). Rather, there is a strict limit to humanity's violent time upon the earth. Dan 12:2 predicts that after the final conflict between the saints and the forces of the evil king, many of those who sleep in the dusty earth shall be resurrected, "some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

States of affairs, too, can be perpetual. In 1 Kgs 8:13, the temple is established as a place where the Lord would dwell perpetually. (The fact that the temple was eventually destroyed does not invalidate its original purpose.) In 2 Sam 3:28, David claims that he and his kingdom will be perpetually innocent of Abner's death, so that no guilt should fall on him or his descendants. Elijah's servant Gehazi and his descendants are perpetually cursed with Naaman's leprosy as a result of Gehazi's greed (2 Kgs 5:27). The enmity between Israel and some of its neighboring nations was to continue perpetually (Deut 23:3[4], 6[7]; Ezra 9:12; Ezek 25:15, 35; cf. Ps 78:66 "everlasting shame".) God's anger/enmity can also be described as perpetual. Several times the question is posed, "Will (the Lord) always be angry (with Judah)?" (Jer 3:5; 17:4; cf. Ps 85:5[6]), in light of the judgment of exile. In Jer 14:4, the Lord states that his anger will burn perpetually against Judah; in Mal 1:4, his anger burns perpetually against Edom.

6. The nom. is used frequently in connection with the idea of covenants between God and humanity. God's unconditional promises to his people are often described as perpetual or eternal...

7. As different aspects of God stretch back to antiquity, so do various aspects stretch forward into perpetuity. According to Isa 60:19,20, the Lord is an eternal light for his people, contrasting the darkness that covers the Gentiles. God's word is also eternal. In Isa 40:8, God's word is probably his prophetic pronouncements, which are not annulled by the passage of time; in Ps 119:89, God's word refers to the law, which is not subject to change (see also 111:8; 119:152). God's covenant faithfulness (ḥesed), his commitment to his people, is also eternal (1 Chron 16:34; 2 Chron 20:21; Ezra 3:11; Ps 89:2[3]; 100:5; 106:1; 107:1; 118:1,2,3,4,29; 136:1,2,3,etc; Jer 33:11; cf. Ps 117:2). Deut 33:27 speaks of God's eternal arms, whereby he protects Israel. In a number of vv., it is stated that God reigns as king forever (Exod 15:18; Ps 9:7[8]; 10:16; 29:10; 66:7; 145:13; 146:10; Jer 10:10; Lam 5:19). Only a few vv., however, state that God himself will continue to exist perpetually; Ps 135:13 says that the name of the Lord endures forever, a metonymy for God himself. In Deut 32:40, God swears to take vengeance on his adversaries, as he lives forever, whereas Ps 102:12[13] says that God abides forever, in contrast to the psalmist himself.

8. There are a few references in which the nom. ʻôlām is used to denote all time, stretching both forward and backward. The phrase mēʻôlām ʻad ʻôlām, from everlasting to everlasting, is used in Ps 41:13[14] ("Praise be to the LORD ... from everlasting to everlasting") and as a description of God's covenant faithfulness (ḥesed) in Ps 103:17. In these cases, it does not mean boundless eternity, but from ancient times until the distant future. In Ps 90:2, however, where the same phrase is used to describe God himself, it most likely means boundless time, stretching forward and backwards into perpetuity.

I think this makes it clear that according to Tomasino many, but not all, occurrences of `olam do refer to true perpetuity, whereas others refer to the unimaginably distant future, or past. As such Tomasino himself uses the words "forever" and "eternity" repeatedly, so you certainly cannot claim that this is not his concept of `olam. There is no suggestion that the time is ever short, certainly never less than a lifetime. This is more or less what I have been saying all along.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)