b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Harold R. Holmyard III'" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:54:49 -0500

>3) v19 And the midwives said unto Pharaoh, Because the Hebrew women are not
>as the Egyptian women; for they are lively, and are delivered ere the
>midwives come in unto them.
>If the midwives were Hebrews, could they have gotten away with saying that
>the Hebrew women are more lively than the Egyptian women?

HH: It could have been true. God blessed the Israelites in childbirth:

SteveM: How could it be true in light of verse 17?
Ex 1:17 But the midwives ... saved the men children alive.
It seems to me that what the midwives told Pharoah in v19 was a bald-faced
lie. Similar to the sort that Corrie ten Boom told the Nazi's in order to
save lives.