b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:44:21 +0000

On 02/11/2005 21:27, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: Most female names do have a pleasant connotation. Some of my female friends are named Grace, Joy, Celeste, Dawn, and Melody. Other names include Felicia, Constance, and Desiree. Many names for women have positive meanings even if we don't realize it. If you trace the etymology, that is what you find. Please breeze through the following list and see. I will give the part of the list for the letter A. After the name will be its meaning. These are names from all around the world, so positive messages are a universal tendency. ...

This may be a universal tendency, but it is not completely universal. I have met women, in the Middle Eastern country where I was working, whose names clearly reflect the father's disappointment at having yet another daughter. So Karl's suggestion that some Israelite women might have had such names is not necessarily wrong.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)