b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:42:57 -0600

Dear Yitzhak,

What about Merav and Michal in 1 Sam 14:49? I'm also curious now about
the introduction "asher shem ...". Do we have an example where "asher"
refers to an indefinite noun as you suggest here? I don't know, and I don't
have the tools to search for it.

HH: The only parallel for this asher shem structure I found was at Exod 18:3, where "her two sons" is definite, not indefinite:

Ex. 18:3 and her two sons. One son was named Gershom, for Moses said, "I have become an alien in a foreign land";

Yours,
Harold Holmyard