b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:54:18 -0500

Great point, Harold! Where did you get the really great list of names? I have got to give that to the couples for whom I officiate their weddings! (hopefully the a - z version)

Shalom,
Bryan

Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: Most female names do have a pleasant connotation. Some of my female friends are named Grace, Joy, Celeste, Dawn, and Melody. Other names include Felicia, Constance, and Desiree. Many names for women have positive meanings even if we don't realize it. If you trace the etymology, that is what you find. Please breeze through the following list and see. I will give the part of the list for the letter A. After the name will be its meaning. These are names from all around the world, so positive messages are a universal tendency. In this list of women's names, I left in those that the source said could describe either gender, but I am skeptical about some myself.

Name Meaning
A'MARIE Gracious Under Adversity
AADI Beginning
AALIYAH Ascender