b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] midwives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] midwives
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:18:44 -0500

Hi Yitzhak,

thanks for responding!

Your response sent me on a search with interesting results, I think. In BH narrative there seems to be a consistent formula for introducing named people and things that I may represent as follows:

a. There was _an_ X
b. And the name of _the_ X was...

Examples:
Gen 2:10-11 (a.) venahar yotse' me`eden...(b.) shem ha'exad...
Gen 4:17 (a.) vayehi boneh `ir (b.) vayyiqra' shem ha`ir...
Num 11:26 (a.) vayyishsha'eru shney 'anashim... (b.) shem ha'exad...

The (a.) clause introduces a person or thing to the narrative. It introduces the person or place with grammatical indefiniteness (_an_ X). Then a subsequent (b.) clause gives the person or thing a name. In the (b.) clause, the person or thing is referred to with grammatical definiteness (eg. _the_ X). The pattern is extremely consistent, so I may call it a "rule" for BH narrative. In fact, I could not find a clear counter example when a person or thing is named at the start of a narrative. The only possible counter example I know of is Exo 1:15.

(a.) vayyo'mer melek mistrayim lamyalldot ha`ibriyyot
(b.) 'asher shem ha'axat...

I wonder if the "rule" I have sketched here has any impact on whether we should read lamyalldot or limyalldot in v. 15. I think it does by ruling out lamyalldot!

I still have reservations, however, because even limyalldot is grammatically definite by virtue of its place in an alledged definite construct chain. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Shalom,
Bryan