b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] naming formula (was midwives)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] naming formula (was midwives)
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:24:35 -0500

Hi Peter,

Your question is a good one, which might be germane to the midwives
discussion, but I don't know the answer yet for lack of examples.

Maybe we could look at 1Ki 14:21. _veshem 'immo na`amah ha`ammoniyt_

The mother is not first introduced in the indefinite ("_a_ mother") in
one clause before we are given her name in a second clause where she is
definite. Rather, we
jump right to a definite reference to the mother ('immo) even though she
has never appeared in the narrative prior. It makes common sense that
the narrator hardly had to say the Rehoboam _had a mother_ as a
separate proposition before he named her because our world knowledge
tells us that every man has a mother. This relates to your question
because there are also certain court officials that we may assume a king
is about as likely to have as any man is to have a mother, like a
captain to his host or a butler. How about midwives? ;-)

Another example: 1Sa 14:50 _veshem 'eshet sha'ul 'axiyno`am bat
'axiyma`ats veshem sar tseba'ot 'abiyner_...

If we are a Bible-days audience, we *know* any king has a wife and a
captain. Both are refered to in the definite in the same clause that
they are named.

Interestingly, neither of the above examples is actually a
counter-example to my rule
because in neither case do the named individuals become participants in
the subsequent episode. The names of the individuals are information
off to the side of the main line of events.

On the other hand, watch what happens when a man is introduced and
subsequently becomes active in a little plot:

2Sa 17:25 va`amasa' ben 'iysh ushmo yitra' hayyisre'eliy

Yitra only participates in one act (He marries Abigail). Yet the
narrator circumlocutes to stay within the rules of narration--one clause
introduces him with an indefinite and the next clause tells us his name.
What I mean when I say the narrator circumlocutes is that he didn't
have to tell us Amasa was "a son of a man."

Shalom,
Bryan