b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 02:41:14 +0000

On 15/01/2005 01:35, Jim West wrote:

... But Peter, honsetly, if you can't see the value of hebrew characters (in whatever order they are typed) over sometimes confusing transliteration I am at a loss as to how you have arrived at such a viewpoint.

I entirely agree with you that Hebrew characters are better than confusing transliteration (although not necessarily better than good transliteration, but that's another issue). My computer has built into it the capability of typing Hebrew in the proper order and displaying it correctly. I want to use those built-in capabilities rather than a hacked solution suggested by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

You wrote "Technology has advanced to the point that..." Well, technology advanced that far about ten years ago, and has advanced a long way beyond that now.

Then why have the computer geeks not gotten together and formulated a solution to the ever present foreign font dilemma?

They have. It is built into my computer. It has been built into Windows for at least seven years. I have suggested using it several times on this list. But a few people have objected because they insist on using obsolete mail clients which don't support either your solution or mine, in fact they refuse to upgrade to any way of displaying Hebrew characters on their computers.

While I do not support going back to the inarticulate transcription, that is better than making a rash change to an obsolete technology on the advice of someone who admits to knowing almost nothing about the issue.

A rash change? If technology has advanced so far in 10 years, as you suggest, then why is transcription still necessary? ...

It isn't. It hasn't been needed for 7 years. It is not used on this list only because a few people object to making any technological progress.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)