b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:18:47 +0000

On 15/01/2005 00:59, Jim West wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

Do these fonts comply with international standards like Unicode?

I dont know. And frankly I dont care. If i have a font and you have the same font and we both have a mailer that reads that font, the problem is solved, isn't it.

For two-way communication, yes. For an international list like this, we need to use internationally agreed standards. There is also a good chance that these legacy solutions based on font hacks will fail to work with new versions of software - they already don't work with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, which presumably explains the Thunderbird recommendation.

Or are they an attempt to get this list to use a non-standard, deprecated and obsolescent means of representing Hebrew, probably in the user-hostile "visual order", which is in fact not supported by modern software like Thunderbird and modern OSs like Windows XP?

Good grief. Whats all this about? "attempt to get the list.... " ...

Well, actually your misquotation makes the statement correct. I must apologise, you were not attempting to get this list to make a giant step backwards, you were attempting to get another list you moderate to do this. If I was a member of that other list, I would voice my strong objections there.

I want to type Hebrew in its correct logical order, not backwards as you are trying to make your other list do.

You wrote "Technology has advanced to the point that..." Well, technology advanced that far about ten years ago, and has advanced a long way beyond that now.

... etc, blah.... I really dont have some secret hidden agenda Peter. ...

I never made any such suggestion.

... I am not a computer geek like most evidently are, and I dont know all the intricate mystical lingo of utf and unicode and all that dribble. ...

If you don't know and don't understand, stop making pronouncements as if you do, and stop bad-mouthing technology that you don't understand.

... I was merely suggesting a simple solution which would enable all of us to read hebrew instead of transliteration. Nonetheless, that simple suggestion has been tortured, convoluted, tormented, and burned on the fire of criticism, hostility and innuendo (see above). So, frankly, I dont give a flaming rats rip what anyone on list does in terms of fonts or the like. Forget i mentioned it and go back to the inarticulate transcription that seems to have captured the hearts and minds of several.

While I do not support going back to the inarticulate transcription, that is better than making a rash change to an obsolete technology on the advice of someone who admits to knowing almost nothing about the issue.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)