b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:35:54 -0500

Peter Kirk wrote:

Well, actually your misquotation makes the statement correct. I must apologise, you were not attempting to get this list to make a giant step backwards, you were attempting to get another list you moderate to do this. If I was a member of that other list, I would voice my strong objections there.

I'll ignore the typical petrine ad hominem as it is irrelevent. Only someone intentionally ill willed could imagine that another person is "attempting to get another list you moderate" to "take a giant step backward".

I want to type Hebrew in its correct logical order, not backwards as you are trying to make your other list do.

I suppose you would rather have typing right to left in place of clear communication. This might well be called keyboard phariseeism. I dont quite understand why you are fixated on the direction of typing. Sure, Hebrew reads right to left. Everyone knows that. But Peter, honsetly, if you can't see the value of hebrew characters (in whatever order they are typed) over sometimes confusing transliteration I am at a loss as to how you have arrived at such a viewpoint.

You wrote "Technology has advanced to the point that..." Well, technology advanced that far about ten years ago, and has advanced a long way beyond that now.

Then why have the computer geeks not gotten together and formulated a solution to the ever present foreign font dilemma?

If you don't know and don't understand, stop making pronouncements as if you do, and stop bad-mouthing technology that you don't understand.

Arrogance noted. Again.

While I do not support going back to the inarticulate transcription, that is better than making a rash change to an obsolete technology on the advice of someone who admits to knowing almost nothing about the issue.

A rash change? If technology has advanced so far in 10 years, as you suggest, then why is transcription still necessary? It seems that I am not the only one who doesn't know the issue. And again, arrogance noted.

--
Jim West, ThD
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest