b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 01:23:36 -0500

Peter, Jim, et al.:

Personally, I'm all for writing all references in Hebrew. But (and you knew
the but was coming) not all software is able to take the Hebrew correctly.

For example, I often use a Macintosh OS 9.0.4 which has an earlier version of
unicode, which can correctly read consonantal Hebrew, but many of the points
get messed up. (At least I don't have to worry about computer virii, as those
for old Macs are no longer written.)

Today I'm borrowing a Linux computer from Gentoo distribution and the browser
is Firefox, the first example below came out as ??? and the second doesn't
make sense, though it is at least Hebrew.

It is my understanding that some mail programs on the servers strip out
unicode references leaving gibberish. In those cases, it doesn't matter what
software runs the client's computer, the Hebrew information is stripped out
before his computer sees it. Finally, I don't know how to write Hebrew on
this borrowed computer.

My suggestion is that we use both, the transliteration as well as the Hebrew
until which time as all computers and servers are equipped with unicode
complient software. When I do write Hebrew, I include a transliteration just
in case. I would prefer to use Hebrew only, but it appears that the time has
not yet come.

Karl W. Randolph.