b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:04:20 +0000

On 15/01/2005 14:47, Jim West wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

Karl, there is clearly something wrong with the Linux computer if it cannot display the first word of the Hebrew Bible correctly, as below. This word was not corrupted by any mail server, nor by the Linux system, because it appeared correctly in your reply to me.

בְּרֵאשִׁית

I'm not sure if you can see it or not- but in the sample I received the letters are separated by the vowels- a full space being devoted to each.

No, I don't see this, it appears correctly to me, within the limitations of the font. What is your default font for display of Hebrew text? Try setting it to a font which supports Unicode Hebrew, which should include any of the system standard fonts.

But you may need to enable Hebrew as one of the languages supported by your system. It is somewhere in Control Panel, Language Settings or something similar, in Windows 2000 and XP. In Windows 95 and 98 you get this by installing Internet Explorer 5 or later with the Hebrew support option.

here's the first word of genesis:

ty#)rb

I just see Latin script backwards. But then I don't have SPEzra installed. And I note that if I did I would still not see correctly positioned vowels.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)