b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: DJNordlund AT aol.com
  • To: jwest AT highland.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:27:06 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2005 1:41:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jwest AT highland.net writes:

Trevor Peterson wrote:

> Are the scholars press fonts Unicode now? Haven't they been around
> forever? But if the point of using Thunderbird is to send Unicode, not
> only would you not want to use a legacy font, but there's no reason to
> mandate Thunderbird. Outlook, for instance, should work just fine if
> properly configured.
>
> Trevor

Jim West responded:

Not that I know of. Yes, they have been around forever. But even if one
has unicode, one must have the correct unicode font installed in order to be
able to read foreign characters.

<snip>

Best

Jim

------My Reply------

No, when using unicode fonts it is not necessary to have "the correct" font
installed. That is the benefit of unicode. All you need is some unicode
font that supports the language you are interested in. Unicode fonts like
MS
Arial Unicode, and Palatino Linotype support (at least) English, polytonic
Greek, and Hebrew. Those fonts can appropriately render Hebrew or Greek
text
that is written using those fonts, or any other unicode fonts, such as SIL
EZRA
unicode or Cyberbit Basic, etc., as long as UTF-8 encoding is used to send
the text (as pointed out by Peter Kirk).

The major problem seems to be with email clients. I use both MS Outlook and
AOL email clients. Outlook works just fine for sending and receiving email
with unicode. On the other hand, while I can often read unicode/UTF-8
encoded email with AOL, I cannot currently send unicode/UTF-8 email
correctly
(AFAIK).

Dan Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA