b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "J. Raymond Kelley" <jraykelley AT rednova.com>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mozilla Thunderbird mail software
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:39:12 -0800

I personally don't care because my software can handle the text in Greek
and Hebrew, BUT ...

this is a significant enough change so that, if adopted, there should be
some lead time as to put people on notice that it is going to happen AND

I think that, if adopted, the list administrators need to give notice to
people who find out about the e-mail list and want to join. Otherwise,
what will happen is that those who are using e-mail readers without the
language font will not see the text but will see symbols or boxes
depending on how their readers treat characters for which they are not
set up. Instead of the desired "certainty", we build instead our own
Tower of Babel.

Ray

Ray Kelley

Jim West wrote:

Trevor Peterson wrote:
Thanks Trevor-

Here is a note I sent to the list I moderate:

Technology has advanced to the point that I think it possible for us to begin using Greek and Hebrew in our postings. But we have to have in common a new mailing program and a suite of freely distributed fonts.

So, if you wish to be able to view Greek and Hebrew in future postings here, may I please, humbly request that you do the following.

First, download the free Thunderbird mailer-

Install it.

Then, so that we all have the same fonts, download this zip file (from my resources page- where I have available the Scholars Press fonts- both Greek and Hebrew in one zipped file)

http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/scholars.zip

Unzip the file and install the fonts.

You will then be able to choose the font you wish to use on the Thunderbird pull down menu and viola! What was once uncertain transcription becomes certain text.

Best,

Jim