b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:18:46 -0500

George:

This is interesting: the root is claimed to exist, yet different people have
different lists where it is to be found. The concordance I was told to buy by
my teacher when I was a student was by Lisowski, which is where I got the
list of verses I listed, and I see that BDB have a different list. One of the
verses found on both lists has one translation I proposed as a possibility,
Revelation 2:27 has a different translation allowed by the unpointed text,
neither of which uses “smash”. That’s just one example. As a result, I find
the evidence for the existance of that root weak, at best.

By the way, in the Job passage, who is the subject? What form is this verb?
How does it fit with the previous and following verses? What is meant by
KBYRYM seeing as other uses of this lexeme as a noun in Tanakh refer to
blankets? Or is this adjectival use with the force of a noun, with the basic
idea of drawn out (make long of time) or expansive (make long width and
length)?

Karl W. Randolph.