b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 00:05:36 -0500

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:15:37 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:
> George:
>
> When we look at the root and other derivatives of GBR we have the
> concept of overpowering, to (be a) master over someone else. In the
>
> adjectival use it has the meaning of (overpowering) force.
>
> KBR has the meaning of drawn out in distance or time, in distance
> including as a flood blankets the land. Derivatives include blanket
>
> KBYR, lattice work MKBR, distance KBRT and drawn out in time, as in
>
> "you are long winded" Job 8:2.
>
> Where does "mighty" come from? If KBYR in Job 34:24 is "mighty" as
> an adjective, then what is the noun that is the object of YR(? I
> see it used as a noun here, and the other uses of KBYR as a noun is
>
> as a "blanket", why a different, otherwise unattested, meaning
> here? Therefore if YR( means "smash", what is being smashed?
> Grammatically, it can mean "flap blankets" as in shake out.
>
> In short, grammatically "smash" is not a necessary meaning, and I
> have trouble getting it to fit the context and verse.
>
> Oh yes, as "smash", how does it fit with the previous and following
> verses?
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
___________________

Karl,

Your etymologizing is really getting tiresome -- especially since you
keep coming up with the wrong connections. I don't think I should
continue to trouble myself with your quibbles. Instead, why don't you
set forth your understanding of Job 34.24 and its surrounding verses.
Pick as much context as you like. I would like to see what you can do
with your "blankets." Perhaps they're a substitute for sand and you
intend to hide your head in them.

george
gfsomsel