b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:20:06 -0500

Chris:

To start out, thank you too for the dialog. It is helping me think through
and understand the text better. Thanx.

As for the NRSV taking “BRZL ... WNX$T” as a compound subject, I have seen
similar examples in Tanakh, but right off hand I don’t remember where. In
fact, as I read this verse, I almost automatically read this verse as “iron,
(description of what sort of iron) iron from the north and bronze”. Does
anyone else remember any examples?

As for the use of )Y$ in a sentence referring to “someone”, I see examples
such as Genesis 13:16, Leviticus 15:24, 27:31, Judges 4:20 and many other
verses. The examples you gave I read as passives in Hebrew, something I see
as allowed in the Hebrew grammar, but not allowed in English grammar. In
other words, Waltke & O’Connor, are they not imposing English grammar rules
onto ancient Hebrew?

Now back to Jeremiah 15:12:

While I find the evidence for R(( II root weak, I don’t absolutely rule it
out, at least not yet. If its meaning includes the idea of being hurtful,
that unites it with R(( I which often refers to a hurtful unpleasantness.
Even if it ends up with only one or two undisputed verses that have R(( II
root, I think we have to keep it. Right now I question every occurance I
looked at.

I agree that this passage is hard to read. Verses 1–9 are God talking about
what judgments he will bring on the people. Verse 10 Jeremiah bemoans his
status. Verse 11 looks to me that he is transitioning back to talking about
the national fate that is coming, the reason for his low status. Verse 12
this disputed one. Verses 13–14 again talking about the national fate. Then
verses 15 through the end of the chapter a comment on his personal
relationship with God. It is within this context that I think my reading
makes the most sense. But I’m not going to go out, jump up and down and
proclaim that the other readings are all wrong, at least not yet. I think it
suffices to say that I find them hard to justify.

Karl W. Randolph.