b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:25:08 -0500

George:

To be honest, I’m not sure what the first half of that verse means.

ȯچηȯÈ̆χ†Á˜¯
YR( KBYRYM L) XQR

If YR( is a qal verb, should it not agree in aspect with the second verb in
the verse? With the effect of the waw on switching aspect, should that not
make the qal verb a perfective aspect, in other words, another example of YR(
as its root?

And my questions based on etymologies calls into question the assigning the
meaning of “mighty ones” to KBYRYM. And you have no answer for that.

One option is to make YR( a perfective verb, so that it would read, “He shook
out uninvestigable vastnesses and made others stand in their place.”
referring to God’s actions.

You have staked out a position that Job 34:24 is the primary proof passage
for the existance of R(( II root with the meaning of smashing, to apply it to
Jeremiah 15:12, but you have not demonstrated how it can be so.

As a person who is largely self-taught in Hebrew, I am not impressed by the
mere statements of “experts”, I need to know _why_ they made those
statements. And if I don’t see their logic, I’ll say so. I’m willing to be
the boy who cries out, “The emporer has no clothes!”

As a lexicographer, to be certain of the meaning of a lexeme, a proof passage
to demonstrate that meaning needs to be clear with no questions.
Unfortunately, that is often not the case—often there are no clear proof
passages to use to discern the meaning of lexemes, particularly for lexemes
used five times or fewer in Tanakh. In those cases we use etymologies,
cognate languages and earlier translation (e.g. LXX) and from those make a
guess.

There are no clear proof passages demonstrating the existance of the R(( II
root. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, just that the case for it is very
weak. Of the five times Lisowski claims it is used, there are grammatical
and/or translation reasons in three of the verses to question its existance,
and the other two verses are unclear. BDB claimed that there are a few more
examples of its use, but even other lexicographers question those.

In closing, you made the claim that Job 34:24 proves the existance of the R((
II root. How?

Karl W. Randolph.