b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:15:37 -0500

George:

When we look at the root and other derivatives of GBR we have the
concept of overpowering, to (be a) master over someone else. In the
adjectival use it has the meaning of (overpowering) force.

KBR has the meaning of drawn out in distance or time, in distance
including as a flood blankets the land. Derivatives include blanket
KBYR, lattice work MKBR, distance KBRT and drawn out in time, as in
"you are long winded" Job 8:2.

Where does "mighty" come from? If KBYR in Job 34:24 is "mighty" as
an adjective, then what is the noun that is the object of YR(? I
see it used as a noun here, and the other uses of KBYR as a noun is
as a "blanket", why a different, otherwise unattested, meaning
here? Therefore if YR( means "smash", what is being smashed?
Grammatically, it can mean "flap blankets" as in shake out.

In short, grammatically "smash" is not a necessary meaning, and I
have trouble getting it to fit the context and verse.

Oh yes, as "smash", how does it fit with the previous and following verses?

Karl W. Randolph.