b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Syntax of Jeremiah 15:12
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:12:57 -0500

Chris:

My first question that I ask myself after your response, is there really a
R(( root that has the meaning of “smash”?

In checking my concordance, it lists all of five verses where it is found,
three qals (Jeremaih 15:12, Psalm 2:9 and Job 34:24) and two hitpaels (Isaiah
24:19 and Proverbs 18:24).

Assuming that it exists, and the H- prefix is a interrogative, that makes the
question “Will iron smash iron from the north, also bronze?” which in the
context could refer to “Will your weapons smash the weapons of the enemy?”
followed by verse 13 where God declares that Israel will not succeed in its
defense, but will be handed over to the enemy.

Right off the top of my head, when an impersonal “someone” is the subject of
the verb, does not the sentance include a )Y$ with the verb? I don’t remember
any case where it doesn’t. Without a clear indication of an impersonal
subject, it appears that the NIV is adding to the text.

But I’m not convinced that that root exists. For example I read Proverbs
18:24 “The unpleasant person makes himself unpleasant,...” (where
“unpleasant” is a very mild term for what is meant). Similarly Psalm 2:9 “You
make things unpleasant for them...” (lit. “You unpleasant them...”).

( R(( is usually translated as “evil”, which is usually what it is referring
to. But there are enough times where that meaning does not seem to fit,
indicating that “evil” is a derivative, not primary, meaning for the word.
But always it seems to indicate an “unpleasantness” that exceeds a mere
irritant.)

I will repeat once again that I consider the tradition the Masoritic points
represent neither arbitrary nor made up. They reflect a tradition of
pronunciation and interpretation that existed at that time. However, I do not
treat them as canon as I can point to specific verses where I say they are
wrong. Most of the time I agree with them, where they make sense.

I question whether they make sense in this verse.

For one, the context of the chapter through verse 14 is dealing with the
destruction wrought by the enemies of the people, not Jeremiah’s personal
foes. Jeremiah inserts a little personal vignette in verse 10 where he
complains that he is beig treated like Rodney Dangerfield, sending out
accusations and strife but no one gives him any respect.

I think the verse makes most sense as a dependent clause, describing )YB, the
last word of the previous verse.

In closing, however, my last posting on this subject was a sort of thinking
out loud, dealing with a language for which we have no native speakers to
interview, so there is a certain amount of guessing all of us are doing in
difficult passages as this. Educated guessing, yes, but guessing nonetheless,
made more difficult by the facts that only the consonants were recorded, and
even then spellings were often fluid, not consistant.

Karl W. Randolph.