b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: UUC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, Vadim, unless they are Israeli scholars. Biblical study does not require
any knowledge of modern Hebrew. I don't believe Gesenius knew it, nor for
that matter Rashi or Ibn Ezra, or the translators of the LXX , nor the
commentators of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Why someone would post an article here in Modern Heb., and one that has
absolutely nothing to do with biblical Heb., (it deals with suggested reform
of modern vowelling) -- is a mystery.

Uri

UUC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net> wrote:
???
Is it normal for the scholars of ancient Hebrew to not be able to read
Israeli newspaper?

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

> Is there a translation to either Biblical Hebrew or English for this
article? I found it gibberish, in other words, a foreign language I can't
understand.

> Karl W. Randolph.

few), but here is a link that may or may not be of interest, which I think
at least gives an example how a language develops. Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=435092&contrassID
=2&subContrassID=4&sbSubContrassID=0

Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 08:21:17 -0700
From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
To: UUC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

On 05/06/2004 04:59, UUC wrote:

>???
>Is it normal for the scholars of ancient Hebrew to not be able to read
>Israeli newspaper?

Yes, sadly, because modern Hebrew is a different language, and has a
large number of vocabulary items and some grammatical structures not
used in the Hebrew Bible, and also because most scholars (although not
Karl) are not used to reading unpointed text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)